Friday, June 11, 2010

BUDDY CAN YOU SPARE......A ROCK

1975: Gary Dahl established Rock Bottom Productions, a company that sold the rocks for $3.95 each. The stones were imported from Rosarito Beach in Baja California and arrived swaddled in packing material and nestled in a small cardboard box, with air holes for the rock to breathe.

A thirty-two page official training manual was included, with instructions on how to properly raise and care for the Pet Rock. The instruction manual was full of gags, puns and jokes. It contained several commands that could be taught, like "sit" and "stay".

The fad lasted about six months and ended after the Christmas season of December 1975. I never owned one.

Currently Reading:"Dead Yard" (Adrian McKinty) & "Divorcing Jack" (Colin Bateman)

Song of the Day on the Commute: "Mistral Wind (live version)" (Heart)

Completed Novel: MINDJACKER, Crime Thriller

Current WIP: SISSY MURPHY, Crime Thriller

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha...pet rocks...I remember those. They weren't part of my life, but I remember seeing them on T.V shows. Next time my kids decide they want there own pet, I'm going to have to suggest that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see this fad was one of the many reasons why my dad considered Americans to be daft but I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete