Friday, May 21, 2010

Gary Gilmore Execution

January 17, 1977: I was 12. Gary Gilmore was executed by firing squad for murdering two people during a robbery. He demanded the death penalty and got what he asked for. His last words: "Lets Do It" Wondering if a Nike Ad Man was wathching that day. This was my first exposure to the death penalty and it was a big media story. The pre and post coverage was on all the news stations. Have to remember that back then, there was only CBS, ABC, and NBC. The whole thing disturbed me and I remember thinking about it long after it was over. I also remember all of the protesters, which is commonplace today, picketing outside the prison.

3 comments:

  1. Here's the clip where Wieden (of WiedenKennedy) admits to the inspiration:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTkVma4JFmE

    ReplyDelete