Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Argo Merchant Oil Spill

December 1976: I was 12. Before the latest oil problems in the Gulf, and the Exxon Valdez, the Argo Merchant disaster was my first exposure to envirnmental catastrophe.

The Argo Merchant was a Liberian-registered oil tanker that ran aground southeast of Nantucket Island, Massachusetts, on 15 December 1976. Six days later, on December 21st, the shipwreck broke apart, causing one of the largest oil spills in history.

I cannot for the life of me understand what the wahoo's in Cape Cod are fighting putting up a wind farm in Nantucket sound. Another case of NIMBY elitism.

3 comments:

  1. Sean
    I remember it well too.
    What is a 'wahoo'? (apologies if it is just a typo for 'yahoo'). It sounds like one of those words Seana should tackle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philip,

    Not sure if wahoo is real word, but I have heard it used in the same way as yahoo. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yip. I googled wahoo on my yahoo search engine (I suppose that should be 'I yahood it' now) and it does come up with a similar sort of extension of meaning in the States.
    I am a bit possessive about 'yahoo' as it was coined by Jonathan Swift in Gulliver's Travels as the name of a group of block-headed inhabitants. Swift wrote 'Tale of a Tub', and possibly also drafted Gulliver's Travels, when he was posted as a young cleric to Kilroot in east Antrim in the 1690s.
    He had a pretty miserable time in my home territory by all accounts.

    ReplyDelete